As a child, I was very active. Television was around when I was growing up but I had better things to do and the internet was unheard of. My imagination was wild and I loved being active. There were days though when my mother would have a hard time getting me outside or at least getting me to do something other than complaining I was bored. She solved that problem by getting me a playhouse. I was so excited when she presented it to me. It was my own little sanctuary; a home of my own. I place I could retreat to do my own thing away from the grown-ups. Today, I imagine it is even harder to get kids to do anything but watch TV, play video games and surf the net but playhouses are still a very effective way to give kids something different to do, something that will allow them to use their imaginations, be active and interact with other children.
A playhouse is just as the name suggests. It is a house made especially for children except it is smaller. Children can escape the real world and into their very own space. There are many types of playhouses on the market and here are some examples of what is available:
1) Playhouses are geared towards certain age groups. For younger children, the houses are smaller and have features targeted to their age. For an older child, the features will be more advanced.
2) All of them are different and have different features. Some of the features may include kitchen tools like a stove or sink. Others may have furniture like a table set or chairs or sofa.
3) There are both indoor and outdoor playhouses. An indoor one is best kept indoors and is best for younger kids while an outdoor one is built sturdy enough to be kept outdoors and is best for older and more adventurous kids who want to be independent and away from their surroundings in the home.
4) The houses are made from different materials. Plastic and wooden playhouses are the most popular.
5) There are also some that have different themes surrounding them, or are shaped differently from a typical house. Some look like tree houses, others look like tents and some are even shaped like cars, boats or trains. The designs to choose from are endless. Some are Disney character themed or have colorful patterns on them. Your child has so much to choose from!
Giving your child a playhouse is not only a great way to get them active, it will also teach them valuable skills such as independence and they will have fun while learning. They will get a kick out of playing with the features that allow them to do things the adults do such as washing dishes, sweeping the floor and cooking meals. They will so proud of their little home that they will want to invite the other kids over to join them which means it will also help them to interact with other kids and build necessary social skills.
Play houses can be bought in most department stores and in toy stores. The internet is a great place to start your research and to help you decide which house is best for your child and you can even order online if that is what you prefer. The cost varies depending on what type you buy but generally, you will be paying anywhere from seventy-five dollars to several hundred dollars. Until you are able to invest in a real one, you can use a regular camping tent as am alternative. It serves the same purpose for the time being.
I have very fond memories of playing in my playhouse and the memories your child will make will stay with them forever and transfer into a tradition they carry on with their own children.